Sunday, February 22, 2015

Giuliani Amusement


John and I are amused by the anti-Obama remarks by former NYC Mayor, Rudy Giuliani. They come at the very time that John is reading aloud  Lincoln by Pulitzer-Prize winning author David Donald. We are now on page 540, plowing through every detail of the 1864 campaign, waiting to find out if he wins. What is so shocking is the almost-unrepeatable anti-Lincoln rhetoric---horrible things said about him---and that from his own party, even after his nomination as the Republican candidate. So here we are in 2015 getting all up tight about a former mayor's rather ho-hum remarks about the president. What's new about Obama being a communist or not loving America? Didn't we all already know that! What has upset me most was to learn this about our President: "He doesn't love you. And he doesn't love me." It's very  painful to process this. And the truth is that I do trust the mayor. I actually mean that sincerely. He was the only one running the country for most of a week after 9-11, everyone else high in government having gone into bunkers.

Well, I suppose I'll get over it. I've simply got to get a grip on reality. Obama doesn't love me.

Here is the best book ever written on Abraham Lincoln. John is convinced he should be re-elected. I am not. We've had more than one dust-up over the issue. Now all we can do is wait and see.